- State of the Vintage Address: A Review of 2012-2014 Vintages
- Napa Valley storms Burgundy and Bordeaux
- 2012 Vintage is Tasting Great
- A Magnanimous Affair: Tasting Notes from a 20-year VIADER Vertical
- Viader Cellar Update; 2013 Wine into Barrels
- Pre Thanksgiving Pairing of Viader Wines
- Harvest 2013 at Viader: Alan Viader Gives the Story
- Night Harvest at VIADER
- California Cab & Swiss Turkey in November
- 2013 Harvest Progress at Viader
Yesterday, I was pulled away from my computer to join Delia and Alan for a quick barrel tasting of our blends from the 2012 vintage. We tasted through four different barrels of VIADER, two tastes each of “V” and Syrah, and finally we tried both the 2012 and 2013 vintages of our special single barrel blend of “Tribute” which is dedicated to my grandfather and Delia’s father, Walter Viader.
Wow. The wines from this vintage are so impressive. Rich fruit of the 2012 VIADER fills the mouth; the texture has an elegant roundness and fullness, with tasty caramel notes on the finish. Our 2012 “V” has the delicious bittersweet chocolate notes and brightness that we were hoping to extract from the grapes – and we did thankfully! The Syrah was fermented in the concrete egg “tank” and may be one of the best we’ve ever made. Coming around to the “Tribute,” we all took smaller samples because we only made one barrel (~25 cases), and this wine, painstakingly blended by Alan and Delia, embodies all that is Howell Mountain – red and black fruits supported by supple tannins and serious structure.
We’re looking forward to sharing these wines with you in a couple years! If you are interested in joining Alan for a barrel tasting, please view our 2014 Events Calendar. Alan will be giving a guided barrel tasting and cave tour on Friday, November 14th from 2-4pm. Space is extremely limited and an RSVP required. Cheers!