- State of the Vintage Address: A Review of 2012-2014 Vintages
- Napa Valley storms Burgundy and Bordeaux
- 2012 Vintage is Tasting Great
- A Magnanimous Affair: Tasting Notes from a 20-year VIADER Vertical
- Viader Cellar Update; 2013 Wine into Barrels
- Pre Thanksgiving Pairing of Viader Wines
- Harvest 2013 at Viader: Alan Viader Gives the Story
- Night Harvest at VIADER
- California Cab & Swiss Turkey in November
- 2013 Harvest Progress at Viader
As August draws to a close, Alan is busy doing his diligent maintenance in anticipation of the harvest. Currently, he is checking sugar levels in the grapes and says they’re getting close to where he likes them to be. “The C-block Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc will likely be first to get picked,” says Alan. He noted that some blocks were already at 22-23 degrees Brix (25-26 is the desired level). And because of the recent warm weather, our small plot of Syrah may also be picked first.
Meanwhile, in the caves, Alan and his crew are also busy racking. They are currently racking all 2012’s (VIADER, “V”, VIADER Syrah, and DARE by Viader Cabernet Sauvignon) before the rush of harvest to make room for the 2013 wines that will be coming in. He and Delia are also whirling away at making blends. Alan recently racked & blended a small base or preliminary blend of the 2012 VIADER. He says, “It’s showing great right now but we may be adding or revising the blend in the future.” With the estimated bottling date of summer, 2014, he feels there’s time to watch the development of the wine and possibly make some small changes. In addition, he and Delia recently blended the 2012 DARE by Viader Cabernet Sauvignon by Viader and feels it’s going to be a beauty.
That’s the update from the vineyards and cellar at Viader. Please subscribe to our blog and consider contacting us to join our email list so we can keep you posted on our specials, offers and the progress at the winery.